When I start working with a new deck, one of the first things I like to do is interview it. I sit down with a cup of tea and ask the deck a few questions about itself and how it sees the potential of our relationship. It's a wonderful way to start to get to know the energy and personality of a deck, and can even give you some guidance as to the best ways to approach working with the deck.
There are lots of different deck interview spreads to be found online, and I have tried many of them over my time of interviewing decks. What follows is the spread that I use, which is a bit of mash-up of those spread positions I found most insightful.
Here is a quick example of my interview with the deliciously retro Hoi Polloi tarot.
1. What are you here to teach me? Ace of Pentacles - "To keep it simple, stupid!"
2. How do you see yourself? King of Cups - "I've got my shit together."
3. How do you see me? The Tower - "You're a little tragic, tbh..."
4. How can I best work with you? The Sun - "Lighten up, kiddo!"
5. What are your strengths as a deck? Ten of Pentacles - "Like I said, I've got it together. I'm pretty grounded and practical, too."
6. What are you limitations or weaknesses? Eight of Wands - "I don't like being rushed!"
7. What is the potential of our working relationship? The World and Ace of Swords - "You'll get clear on your purpose. If you wield me right, you have everything to gain, baby!"
In this short interview, I found myself laughing out loud. The cheeky, playful personality of the deck came through loud and clear. What a wonderful way to start our journey together!
If you want another, more thorough example, check out the video below, in which I interview the beautiful Liminal Tarot.